History Bytes: Jamestown Golf & Country Club
In 1901 Edwin G. Littlefield leased his Jamestown farm to the Jamestown Golf and Country Club for $400 a year. The summer season was a success and golfers organized the following year to elect club officers, erect a clubhouse and establish facilities for tennis, croquet, bowling and baseball. H. A. Findlay of Boston was chosen to formally design the nine hole course around the grazing pastures. Originally located at Whittier Road in Shoreby Hill, the club house was moved to its present location on Conanicus Avenue in 1951 and the tennis courts were sold to the Conanicut Yacht Club. The Jamestown Country Club survived The Great Depression, two world wars, competition form the Beavertail Country Club and the threat of housing development. Owned by the Town of Jamestown, the golf course operates today as the oldest nine hole golf course in the United States.